Here's a brief history of the LF&D by Lucinda M. Parker...

1890: Surveys for the the LF&D rr. First Corporation floats bonds

1892: December 14th, The line opens between Little Falls & Dolgeville. August 9 first train to Crum Creek. December 14, first train to Dolgeville.

1902: Salisbury Steel and Iron formed; mines open

1906: July; NYC&HRR purchases line. December, construction begins on Salisbury extension.

1908: April; Salisbury extension opens

1909: Concentration plant at at Irondale opened July 4th.

1910: May, First wreck on Salisbury Extension.

1913: Name changed to Dolgeville Branch, NYC & HRRR. General Manager Switzer of the Irondale operation dies, Irondale closes down.

1914 - The Jerseyfield Lumber Co. builds a logging railroad at Salisbury Center.

1917 - NYC takes complete control of branch, integrating operations..

1921: Brooklyn Cooperage and Jerseyfield Lumber close down.

1925: Passenger service to Salisbury Center discontinued.

1933 - April 30, passenger service on entire line ceases.

1938: West Virginia Pulp and Paper moved in

1945: West Virginia Pulp and Paper pulls out, Salisbury Extension retired.

1959 - April 30, Dolgeville freight station closed.

1964 - July 10, last train to Dolgeville. July 16, train orders listed line


The following is from the New York Central System Historical Society's "Central Headlight" magazine. It is a brief history of the LF&D published in 1971. Special thanks to Walt Danylak for providing it...

"This company was first incorporated in 1891 in New York State to
build a road from Little Falls to Dolgeville. The LF&D purchased two
locomotives: Number 1, built by Schenectady Locomotive Works in 1892,
Order Number 3807, a 4-6-0 with 17x24 inch cylinders and 55 inch
drivers. Number 2, also built by Schenectady Locomotive Works in
1895, Order Number 4336, a 4-4-0 with 17x24 inch cylinders and 61
inch drivers. Both locomotives became NYC&HR Class CX.
The railroad was foreclosed (bankrupt) and reformed in 1902 and
passed into NYC&HR control in 1906.
In 1907, the Dolgeville & Salisbury Railroad Co. was formed by the
Salisbury Iron & Steel Co. This road was built from Dolgeville to
Irondale, 3.89 miles, and was operated by the LF&D. This later became
part of the LF&D.
In 1910 and 1912 respectively, two NYC&HR Class Ec 2-6-0's, numbers
1658 and 1688, became LF&D numbers 3 and 4.
By 1899 this road had four passenger cars, two box cars and four flat
The LF&D was consolidated into the NYC&HR on April 16, 1913. The
NYC&HR assumed the arrangement to purchase the Dolgeville & Salisbury




Return To The LF&D

Return to Gino's Railpage