Here's a brief history of the LF&D by Lucinda M. Parker...
1890: Surveys for the the LF&D rr. First Corporation floats bonds
1892: December 14th, The line opens between Little Falls & Dolgeville. August 9 first train to Crum Creek. December 14, first train to Dolgeville.
1902: Salisbury Steel and Iron formed; mines open
1906: July; NYC&HRR purchases line. December, construction begins on Salisbury extension.
1908: April; Salisbury extension opens
1909: Concentration plant at at Irondale opened July 4th.
1910: May, First wreck on Salisbury Extension.
1913: Name changed to Dolgeville Branch, NYC & HRRR. General Manager Switzer of the Irondale operation dies, Irondale closes down.
1914: The Jerseyfield Lumber Co. builds a logging railroad at Salisbury Center.
1917: NYC takes complete control of branch, integrating operations..
1921: Brooklyn Cooperage and Jerseyfield Lumber close down.
1925: Passenger service to Salisbury Center discontinued.
1933: April 30, passenger service on entire line ceases.
1938: West Virginia Pulp and Paper moved in
1945: West Virginia Pulp and Paper pulls out, Salisbury Extension retired.
1959 - April 30, Dolgeville freight station closed.
July 10, last train to Dolgeville. July 16, train orders listed line
The following is from the New York Central System Historical Society's "Central Headlight" magazine. It is a brief history of the LF&D published in 1971. Special thanks to Walt Danylak for providing it...
"This company was first incorporated in 1891 in New York State to
build a road from Little Falls to Dolgeville. The LF&D purchased two
locomotives: Number 1, built by Schenectady Locomotive Works in 1892,
Order Number 3807, a 4-6-0 with 17x24 inch cylinders and 55 inch
drivers. Number 2, also built by Schenectady Locomotive Works in
1895, Order Number 4336, a 4-4-0 with 17x24 inch cylinders and 61
inch drivers. Both locomotives became NYC&HR Class CX.
The railroad was foreclosed (bankrupt) and reformed in 1902 and
passed into NYC&HR control in 1906.
In 1907, the Dolgeville & Salisbury Railroad Co. was formed by the
Salisbury Iron & Steel Co. This road was built from Dolgeville to
Irondale, 3.89 miles, and was operated by the LF&D. This later became
part of the LF&D.
In 1910 and 1912 respectively, two NYC&HR Class Ec 2-6-0's, numbers
1658 and 1688, became LF&D numbers 3 and 4.
By 1899 this road had four passenger cars, two box cars and four flat
The LF&D was consolidated into the NYC&HR on April 16, 1913. The
NYC&HR assumed the arrangement to purchase the Dolgeville & Salisbury
Return To The LF&D
Return to Gino's Railpage