Here's some old shots of the West Shore Railroad in the early 20th Century


Here is NYWS&B 145 in Albany in 1893 (Photo: Jerry Snyder Collection)


Here is NYWS&B 128 (Photo: Jerry Snyder Collection)


Passes from the West Shore (Jerry Clearwater Collection)


Here's a great shot of the Auriesville Station on June 8th, 1908. This photo was taken by R. Donaldson

(Walt Danylak Collection)


Here's a wonderful postcard-view of the yards in South Amsterdam. This is the Eastward-view in 1907 (Postcard: Jerry Snyder Collection)


Here's another shot of the South Side of Amsterdam. The double-track main is in the fore-ground and the Erie canal is in the center.

(Postcard: Jerry Snyder Collection)


Here's the Amsterdam Freight House for the New York West Shore and Buffalo (Postcard: Jerry Snyder Collection)


Here's the South Amsterdam Passenger station looking West (Postcard: Jerry Snyder Collection)


Same station, looking East (Postcard: Jerry Snyder Collection)


Here's a better shot of the Fort Hunter Station from June of 1908. Photo by R. Donaldson (Walt Danylak Collection)


Here's the construction of one of the bridges over the Schoharie Creek at Fort Hunter, New York. Date unknown. ( Jerry Snyder Collection)


Here is the St. Johnsville Passenger Depot in the early 1900's. The freight house can be seen on the right. The architecture of the passenger depots seems to be consistent along the line...


Here's the Indian Castle Station and the W.M. Evans Dairy right behind her. Indian Castle was located between St. Johnsville and Little Falls.

(Photo taken from "Creameries Of Upstate New York At The Turn Of The Century" by John W. Hudson II. Book available from Depot Square Publishing)


Here's a great shot of the South Little Falls station in the late 1800's.

(Photo From Willard Kilts Diary)


Here's an interesting postcard of the rock-cut at Little Falls.


Here's a West Shore Passenger train passing under Lover's Leap in the Little Falls Cut.


Here's a view of the same area, this time there's a train painted in the picture. (Out of proportion not to mention!)


Here's the same view as above, but this one from a Stereo-Gram. This tall ledge was known as Lover's Leap. (Photo: Kevin Cunningham)



Here's a neat panoramic postcard of the easterly view of the West Shore at Little Falls. (Jerry Snyder Collection)


Here's a Westbound train entering Mohawk. The Mohawk Depot is right in the middle of the picture. The Mohawk Station Resturant is NOT the former depot of the NYWS&B. It was a coal yard that was serviced by the railroad and converted to a pub...


Here's where the Utica and Mohawk Valley Railway connected with the West Shore at Mohawk. This was called Mohawk Junction. This part of the West Shore was electrified with an overhead wire. The West Shore was electified via Thrid-Rail between Utica and Syracuse.


Here's the Ilion Station. Notice how the trolley car is on the West Shore Trackage. Cars of the Utica & Mohawk Valley, later the New York State Railways used the West Shore Right Of Way between Mohawk and Frankfort, right where Ilion is located. (Postcard: Kevin Cunningham)


Here's a colored postcard showing the Ilion Station. A trollet sitting near freight-Cars gives you get a good feel for the joint-trackage between the West Shore Railroad and the Utica and Mohawk Valley Trolley Line.


Here's one of the industries served by the West Shore in Ilion. This was the Clark & Bakor Factory. It still remains and is located off of River Street In Ilion.


Here are the former shops in Frankfort, New York. This building remains as a business. After the NYC took control of the West Shore, this building was no longer the company shop.


Here's a fine photo of the Frankfort, NY station. The man with his hand on the baggage cart is Washington Purdy, great grandfather of Robert Purdy who supplied the photo. Washington Purdy became a locomotive fireman on the West Shore in 1891 and then moved to Syracuse to be an engineer.(Photo: Bob Purdy Collection)


I guess they did have a sense of humor in the 1900's. Caboose 17 is the scene of some shananigans. Why else would there be a Goat on the roof and a man on all fours? The man sitting on the roof with his legs hanging over is Robert F. Purdy. Robert left the West Shore to work on the Santa Fe in New Mexico. (Photo: Bob Purdy Collection)